Monday, January 13, 2014

My New Daily Work Schedule

8:00-10:45am
I'm at Burnett Elementary School in a 4th thru 6th grade classroom for Autistic children.  There are a total of 8 students in this class and I'm assigned to the only girl in the class.  She is still learning to use her words to communicate and my job is to keep her on task and focused.

11:00am-12:00pm
After Burnett, I go straight to Weller Elementary School to work 1-on-1 with preschoolers who also have Autism.  I was shadowing another BMT all week last week and tomorrow I get to finally meet the kid that I'll be working with 1-on-1.  I was taught to conduct trials and help them master certain skills that they lack, whether it be motor skills, matching,  sorting, cutting, tracing, crawling, potty training, gender recognition, learning manners, socializing, etc.

12:00-1:30pm
After 1-on-1, I join a social group for preschoolers with autism.  We help them build social skills with other autistic children.  They learn to say hello/goodbye, to share,  to take turns, to say please/thank you, to use full sentences, to ask,  to play with others, etc.  It reminds me of when I used to work at a preschool before only difference is that all the activities are jammed in an hour-and-a-half session instead of 4 hours.

1:45-6:00pm
After working with autistic children,  I'm either at After the Bell (Wed-Fri) or at the Milpitas Sports Center (Mon-Tues).

10-hour work days haven't caught up to me, yet.  This is still all new to me.  I still find that even after working all day I still have energy.  All I can say so far is that overall it has been an interesting and challenging past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment